Author Topic: Tabakstof  (Read 1209 times)

Offline Doret

• Master Gardener
    • View Profile
Tabakstof
« on: October 15, 2007, 15:45:25 PM »
Sorry people I have no idea what is tabakstof called in English.   But nevertheless I need some help please.

We have a garden that is broken up in different parts but in each part there are avairies with finches and canaries and waterfowl so overall in my garden are pets present.  And guess what suddenly we have a termite infestation and it is impossible for us to use any type of poison.  They are even in my fern garden and had caused me many tears already.  I used blue death but its still to early to say if this had worked.  They are also eating away our lawn.  Do any of you know if tabakstof is safe to use near animals/pets and wild bird life.

Your advise will be greatly appreciated

Offline Johan & Paula

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
Re: Tabakstof
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 20:19:25 PM »
Hi Doret

I stand to be corrected, but as far as I know tabakstof (Tobacco dust) is save for animals, but will keep them away from that area as they don't like the smell.
Johan Steyn : Clivia, amarilla,bamboo, Aloe, Arum, Acacia. Plumer,handy man,Metal furniture.
+27 72203-2391
Paula van Rensburg: Software devlopment, support & training, bookkeeping 082 303-7092

Heinie

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 20:21:16 PM »
Doret,
I have often been cautioned against the use of tobacco dust in the past because it contains mosaic virus if my spelling is correct.

I have successfully used a mixture of normal washing powder and water to get rid of crickets and termites in lawns. Mix about a tablespoon washing powder to 5 liters water and pour it over the lawn. Turn a garden sprayer on for a few minutes to allow the mixture to sink into the ground and watch the enemy surface and die. You are allowed to save them from a cruel long wait to die by stomping on them with your best boots. The soap does not damage the lawn at all. Do not allow the kids to use the lawn as a skating rink because that really damages the lawn but it will be worth the effort after all. Good luck with your war games.

Gardener Forum

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 20:21:16 PM »
Please consider a small donation to cover expenses.

Offline Etienne

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
    • thefloweraffect
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 21:30:14 PM »
Don't Doret,not a good idea.

I second Heinie's idea.That's a remedy that i know my father used often in the old days.It really worked.

Offline Johan & Paula

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 23:24:01 PM »
Hi there

I have also learned something thanks. And thanks for the recipe

Johan Steyn : Clivia, amarilla,bamboo, Aloe, Arum, Acacia. Plumer,handy man,Metal furniture.
+27 72203-2391
Paula van Rensburg: Software devlopment, support & training, bookkeeping 082 303-7092

Offline Doret

• Master Gardener
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 09:34:54 AM »
Thanks everyone,  I think we have gladiator termites. :-\ As we have tried the washing powder mix and it didn't work.  But maybe I should try the cheapest washing powder possible.  But anyway thanks for clearing up the tobacco dust thing.  I knew I have read something in the past on this subject and I remembered that there was some bad connectation but I couldn't remembered the detail so when this lady told me about this I was sceptical and you just confirmed it.

I am in the process of "adding" another inhabitant to the Vermeulen Zoo I guess we can still accomodate 2 pekin chickens.  I know they will eat all the buggers that surface but I will try the washing powder mix again.  It brakes my heart as I have collected my ferns with great difficulty and what do they eat the ones that are the most difficult to find.  I can not plant any ferns in the ground and I hate the look of them in pots but that's all I can do.  And to make matters wors I have to put them on bricks so that the termites can't build nests under the pots.

Offline Warren

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 22:31:45 PM »
Phew this is going to be wierd posting on such an old topic.

I wouldnt use Tabakstof either.
I used it on the lwan once and when I put the prinklers on a lot of earthworms came up on to the lawn to die.
Dont know if some one else has seen this.
I really felt bad that day even if it is just a worm.