Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2016
Ads by ForumAds

Author Topic: Corkscrew vine  (Read 4798 times)

Offline Clemens

• Pro Gardener
    • View Profile
Corkscrew vine
« on: June 09, 2012, 21:08:56 PM »
Hi, this was mentioned a while ago under Snail vine. Don't know if you guys have seen it before.

I was given some pods of this today, and looked up some pics.

Tell me what you think!

Offline Rena

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
Re: Corkscrew vine
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 23:33:26 PM »
I love it!  But only know it as the snail vine - I got some seeds from Bennie last year and they are growing well and just starting to make tendrils.  I've never actually seen one "in real life" but have always been fascinated by the photos of them.
Retired - now full-time gardener - and loving it!

Offline Marco

• Gardener
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 09:03:42 AM »
I also know it as a snail vine, beautiful! These is a small nursery close to my mom's place that has a big one growing in the garden. Quite a display when in bloom. I have bought some plants from there but could never get them through the winter, they are a bit soft. A large plant will survive but the little ones die if it gets too cold.

Gardener Forum

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 09:03:42 AM »
Please consider a small donation to cover expenses.

Offline Herma

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 12:35:06 PM »
Sjoe that's lovely. I've never seen one before.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Offline abby

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 03:23:32 AM »
Nice one Clemens  :love:

My neighbour had one but had it in an elevated position over a Pergola - hence after a few years you could no see any of the flowers - so sadly yes it got the chop.

It seems to give a better display as shown on a fence.
Never regret anything that made you smile.

Offline bennie

• Master Gardener
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 18:35:01 PM »
Hi Clemens,
                 There seems to be a lot of controversy surrounding this vine. Some people claim that the Corkscrew vine has no smell whilst the snail vine does.They even have different names. I originally had both versions but could never tell the difference . I also have the yellow form which is not so pretty (to me).
      They die down during winter months and I trim my plants down to about a meter from the ground . The rhizomes overwinter well and the shortened stems sprout at the first sign of summer wheather.
Bennie
PS. I have lots of seed again if anybody is interested

Offline Rena

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 19:28:34 PM »
Hi Bennie

Haven't seen you around for a long time.  What happened with your municipal water problem?? 

If you have any of the yellow seed to spare I'd love a few - for some reason although the "normal" ones that you sent me germinated well, none of the yellow came up. How long do they take from seed to flower?

Offline bennie

• Master Gardener
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 21:55:41 PM »
Hi Rena.
          Yes I am back, sort of. The water problem has been resolved but  i am still reluctant to replace all those plants that I lost as we still have a lot of lime in the water. The Watsonias does not seem to mind the lime and are growing really well. 
        The snailvine flowers from seed in the first year but it really improves with age as the rhizomes develop.Mine is currently four years old and you should have seen (and experienced the perfume) this season. It is only now yellowing and beginning to drop its leaves.The yellow seed that I sent you were from the ones I imported. I also had bad germination and had only two grow, stunted though. I did manage to get some seed from them and will post you some this week.
Regards
Bennie     

Offline Rena

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 23:35:14 PM »
Thank you, Bennie - that will be great.  What a pity you didn't post photos of your vines in flower - would have loved to see that.

Glad to hear the watsonias are doing well - I thought I'd thinned ours out a lot, but they're still coming up all over........ 

BTW - The white valerian has really taken off and I think I have more of them now than the ordinary pink one!  Not that I mind, as I love them. Thanks again.

Gardener Forum

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 23:35:14 PM »
Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2016