Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2016
Ads by ForumAds

Author Topic: Christmas Tidings  (Read 2322 times)

Offline abby

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
Christmas Tidings
« on: December 30, 2008, 14:18:26 PM »

Sorry to disappoint but I have no blooms to show, only the fan.

Somehow it is different to all the others. It looks nice but I am unsure whether the burgandy colour on the fairly healthy looking plant is a disease or part of its genetic makeup.

Any reference or pictures of the CHRISTMAS TIDINGS I can find is of the blooms face - almost as if it never grew on the plant  ???

Never regret anything that made you smile.

Offline Mel

• Platinum Member
  • From RSA to USA! New Gardening Adventure!
    • View Profile
Re: Christmas Tidings
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 17:02:20 PM »
Nice, Abby.
Don't know if you recall the post, or if it was possibly 'before your time' but there was quite a lengthly thread about such colouring.  Believe it was started by Heinie.  Some of us wondered if it would indicate bloom colour, but if I remember correctly, John said not.  Check out postings about 1... or maybe 2 motnhs back.  Gosh, time goes so fast!

I got blessed with 2 daylilies today!  A hoot at the gate and by the time my son ran out to attend to the visitor, the plants were hanging (in a packet) in the tree!  Some got gifts under the tree, I got gifts in the tree :)

I don't know what they are, but know who they are from.  FOund a message on the house-phone.  A friend who knows nothing about plants, let-alone daylilies, so they are probably not named, but could be lovely none-the-less!  Surprises, I love them.  When they bloom they will be 'Gail's Red' or 'Gail's Yellow' or something to denote the gifts were from her!  Just some little daylily thoughts by-the-by....
Best Regards,

Mel.

Offline Lotsalilys

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 18:11:33 PM »
No it has nothing to do with bloom color, the yellow species H. citrina has red feet, and there are daylilys of all colors that carry them. They are attractive, but when the clump fills out you can hardly see them. There are some nice photos of this one in Tinkers Database, and the parentage is very good, it's pod and pollen fertile. I'd put some pollen on it when it does bloom. I may seek that one out next year.
My goodness isn't this fun!!!

Gardener Forum

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 18:11:33 PM »
Please consider a small donation to cover expenses.

Offline abby

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 22:01:01 PM »

Thanks Guys
It is reassuring to know I do not have some strange disease which will cause a wipe out so soon into my new venture.

John you make it sound good but now I guess I will have to wait till spring fo r abloom but in the meanwhile it is a nice fan anyhow - a consolation prize.

So Mel
That is another 2 we have to add to your count - how many does it make now  ???

Offline Mel

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 15:08:08 PM »
Abby, I have about 97 named ones now (and quite a few that are either no-names or are NOID's).  I have emailed my friend Gail to ask her if the two she dropped off are named or not... I wait and see.  If they are named - 2 separate ones - that brings me to 99, and closer to my 'centennial', which is the minimum number I want to stock, and increase stock of, before I sell :)  However, there are a good few in that lot that I wont be selling - so all-in-all I suppose I need another 10.  I think that the ones Gail gave me will be unnamed ones... but I'm sure they'll be pretty anyway!
Best Regards,

Mel.

Offline abby

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 01:18:48 AM »

Wow! Mel, your numbers are sure building up. Good to hear that pretty soon you will be 'worth a loan'  LOL

I must go out and count mine and maybe I should stop buying and see what comes out of the pods.

Has you started on your website yet?

The one that Susan O posted is brilliant - wish I could do something like that.

It would be a wonderful way to keep and share your records.

Offline Mel

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 10:26:44 AM »
Hi Abby,
I haven't started my 'sales' website yet - obviously need to wait to have enough stock - but I think you are refering to a record-keeping idea... will go and find the link that Susan O. posted to which you are refering.  Seems I may have missed it and it sounds interesting.  All my record-keeping is currently on an excel spreadsheet.  Did you ever follow the link I once posted to Marc King's site?  It has a link to his cultivation notes of plants first grown in UK and then in Italy.  Very handy.  Of course we need to bear in mind that the Ital temps are much lower than ours in winter... but I appreciate his notes none-the-less.  Here it is again:  http://www.casarocca.com.  Hit 'Garden Trials' on the menu on the left.

Went and looked at Susan O's last posts.  Are you refering to her picturetrail?  I absolutely love her picturetrail - that's why I made contact with her in the first place and invited her to this forum!  Found her email address through some other means though.  There aren't many Susan Okrasinski's in the daylily world, so it was easy-enough to put 2 and 2 together :)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 10:35:41 AM by Mel »
Best Regards,

Mel.

Offline abby

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 00:35:48 AM »

Mel

Just had a brief look at http://www.casarocca.com/ but I am unable to activate the 'Garden Trials', maybe the website is under repairs will try later. Definitely will bookmark.

Yes I guess that is what I was referring to, I am not familiar with many computer terms. But it is a site well worth looking. This is the link to Susan O's picturetrail

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?uid=2928336

Thank you for inviting Susan O. - the daylily forum is richer for her postings and experience.

Offline Mel

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 22:52:26 PM »
Hi Abby,
Keep trying re the Garden Trials.  I've also had problems accessing it.  Let me copy and paste link for you - type it in, rather than hitting the menu option. (I had found it by googling something or other, so it worked for me that way, but when I tried from the menu it also often bummed out.)

http://www.casarocca.com/html/trialresults.html
Best Regards,

Mel.

Gardener Forum

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 22:52:26 PM »
Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2016

Offline abby

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 10:09:55 AM »

Thanks Mel

Next rainy day I shall have a read. It would be better if he did some notes for subtropics.

I loved his introductions - beautiful SPUFS. Did I spell that right? This new language I do not know  ;)

Offline abby

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2016, 05:12:13 AM »
Not in bloom now but thought I would complete the topic ... found it going through my album ... looks like spring bloomer looking at the garden background.

Gardener Forum

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2016, 05:12:13 AM »
Please consider a small donation to cover expenses.

Offline abby

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2016, 05:14:58 AM »
Looks as if the Forum has lost all its Daylily Lovers  :'(

Offline Rena

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2016, 12:28:50 PM »
Looks as if the Forum has lost all its Daylily Lovers  :'(
Seems like it, Abby.......maybe when flowering starts again.........?

What is the pink rose in the background?
Retired - now full-time gardener - and loving it!

Offline abby

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2017, 12:43:11 PM »
The name of the rose is Bonica Floribunda  :) :)
Sorry about the late reply but only found your question

Offline Rena

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2017, 14:44:18 PM »
Wow Abby !  What a surprise to see a notification about a new post on the GF!
I thought things were "morsdood" (dead as a dodo) - but glad to hear you're still around :)

Thanks for the name  - it seems to be a good bloomer.
Retired - now full-time gardener - and loving it!